In January 1935 the Southern Federation of Syrian Clubs addressed an inquiry to the University of Pittsburgh asking to include a room representing the cultural backgrounds of Syrian Americans among the Nationality Rooms in the Cathedral of Learning. By March 1936, an executive committee was formed. In 1938, the Federation changed their name to Syria-Lebanon Clubs to more adequately indicate the dual country heritage derived from Arabic speaking Americans from Lebanon and the Mulim traditions of Syria.
After six years of effort, the Executive Committee, in 1941, formally presented the Syria-Lebanon Room to the University of Pittsburgh.
For more information on the history of the room and committee, please visit: Guide to the Syria-Lebanon Nationality Room Committee Collection, 1935-1941 UA.40.22 | Documenting Pitt