Summer Study Abroad
The Summer Study Abroad scholarships sponsored by the Nationality Rooms Committees reflect decades of work by those committees to honor an ideal--education through cultural exchange. After their rooms were built, the groups decided to stay together to raise funds enabling eligible University of Pittsburgh students to study abroad, thereby experiencing another culture in depth.
The Nationality Rooms and Intercultural Exchange Programs have awarded scholarships for summer study abroad annually since 1948. More than 1,088 University of Pittsburgh students have enriched their lives through studying abroad on a Nationality Rooms scholarship.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR UNDERGRADUATES AND GRADUATES
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be a current full-time student on a University of Pittsburgh campus for the fall and spring terms prior to study abroad
- Must be enrolled and on campus as a full-time student for the fall and spring terms immediately following the study abroad
- Proposed study abroad must relate to career goals
- Foreign language skills
- Minimum stay of five weeks in one country or region during the summer term
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Must have at least 60 credits by the end of April 2013 (current sophomore or junior)
- Propose a career-related, credit-worthy study abroad program or internship
- For independent research proposal, must speak with the Scholarship Administrator
- All proposed undertakings must receive credits
- Propose a career-related, credit-worthy internship or independent research study
Submitted materials must include the application, essays, and letters of reference.
The applications can be found at the Study Abroad website along with more information about the requirements and application process.
Applications are due for Graduate Students on January 23, 2014.
Applications are due for Undergraduate Students on January 9, 2014.
1228 Cathedral of Learning
Information Sessions begin:
- October 2, 2013 (Sessions are in CL1228 and held once a week)
- Final session: January 8, 2014 for Undergraduates
- Final session: January 15, 2014 for Graduates
For more details, inquire at the Nationality Rooms Programs office, 1209 Cathedral of Learning
Scholarship Administrator: Cristina Lagnese , firstname.lastname@example.org